If you have reached this article that means you are just one step closer reaching a new milestone in your life of owning your dream house. Buying your first home is will be quite emotional because for some people to reach this level is a huge struggle and accomplishment. The excitement and nervous are the two feelings experienced by you as the home buyer right now.
We would like to congratulate you by reaching this point, however, to make sure that you will receive the best of this accomplishment, a home inspection is needed to carefully and thoroughly check the condition of every part of the house that you are planning to buy so that you will be certain to sign that agreement.
What is a home inspection?
The term of a home inspection could be something rarely heard by common people because generally speaking buying a house itself is not an everyday transaction. In general, A home inspection is a thorough examination of a soon purchased property that outlines the home’s major parts, their latest condition, what needs immediate attention and what will require maintenance after you move in. This home inspection procedure usually conducted by experts called the home inspector. By doing the home inspection the buyer and seller can have a better understanding of the current condition of the house and if necessary, will have a chance to renegotiate or even walk away from the transaction, if found in the reports mentioned certain parts not in an optimal condition.
For a buyer who opt-in the services of the home inspector, you can list a set of question for them to find out the current details about the condition of the house. We’ve created the latest home inspection questions guide for the buyer to ease your worries and the transition into the home of your dreams smoothly.
Home Inspection Questions Checklist
- House foundation, structure and exterior
The foundation of a house is one of the fundamental elements that need properly assessed. Therefore, after a home inspector did an inspection you need to review some of the important questions related to the foundation, structure and exterior below:
- How is the current condition of the visible foundation?
- How is the base of the walls and ceilings conditions, any cracks?
- Is the drainage system working well?
- How is the landscaping condition, any soggy area?
- How is the septic tank condition, any leak?
- What about termite damage or rotted wood, any evidence or sign of it?
- What’s the current condition of windows and door frames?
- Is there any crack in the stucco?
- How is the condition of the exterior paint, peeling or faded?
- How is the condition of the roof, need patching?
- Is the garage door working?
- Is there any sign of recent home renovation?
- House Interior
Normally, when people buying a house the interior would the most straightforward and easy to recognize. However, you still need to understand what to ask for when the home inspector finished their inspection. These questions can help you:
- Is the room smelly or has strange odours?
- Is there any home appliances included?
- Is the inside of the house properly insulated?
- Are electrical outlets working and have an adequate number in every room?
- Is there any damage or stain on the floor and need a flooring replacement?
- The windows and doors does it work properly on closing and opening?
- How is the condition of the sinks, any leakage?
- Is the water running properly for the entire house?
- Does it have sufficient ventilation?
- How many toilets and does it operate properly?
- House Plumbing & HVAC
Plumbing and HVAC systems will be related to your daily activities around the house which most of the first-time homebuyer does not understand how the system works. Therefore, these following questions can guide you to understand it:
- Is there any leakage on the pipelines?
- Is there any rust or damage on the pipelines?
- How is the condition of the water pump?
- Are the hot water system and temperature work properly
- Does every room in the home receive sufficient airflow?
- Is the cooling unit getting rusty?
- Does the air filters in the cooling unit need to be replaced?
- Is there a sign of asbestos on the pipelines?
- Can you smell gas?
- House Electrical System
A house without a proper electrical system will hinder your daily activities. Therefore, this area is as important as the mentioned part above to be thoroughly inspected by the inspector and questioned by you to get a better understanding of its current condition. The list below will help make sure you are covered:
- Are there any exposed splices?
- Are the cables properly secured and protected?
- Where is the location of the service panel?
- Is there any sign of fuses or breakers overheating?
How much does building inspection service cost?
The building inspection cost Perth may vary depending on each home inspection service policy and regulations. Many providers in Perth offering a reasonable inspection cost which usually based on the size, type and location of the house.
However, think of it as a future investment to ensure the long lifespan of your house because, with a detailed inspection, you will understand a bit more on each part of the house that you are planning to live in.
Commonly, a home inspection will be skipped when people ready to sign the purchase agreement of your dream house. However, what most people don’t understand that without a proper and detailed house inspection could lead to build-up damage that can create massive damage to the foundation, exterior and interior of the house and massive repairment cost. Therefore, opt-in for a house inspection from your local inspector before you buy a house. Thank you for reading and feel free to share the article.