It may become a big problem if you let your bathtub with its fade color and small cracks if you do not handle them immediately. However, if you buy the new one and replace the old one with the bathtub you have just bought, it is also not a good idea because you will only spend money for one thing that can be repaired and resurfaced. Well, there are some tips of resurface bathtub that can be figured out below.
- Use your spare time to resurface bathtub and it can be started when the all old caulk connecting the bathtub to the surrounding fixtures and walls are carved out by using a sharp utility knife. The new look of your tub can be complemented by the old caulk that has been replaced.
- The holes, drains of the tub and also the faucets can be masked of for the caulk and the best material to use is the protective plastic or the masking tape. Those areas will be protected well from staining created by the cleaning and refinishing products or even from any damages. After that, the tub should be scraped out by using the flat edge of a razor scraper so the fine layer of soap scum gathered on the surface of the tub can be removed. That only the flat edge is used by you should be made sure and your tub’s surface can be scratched by the razor’s sharp corners.
- A rag can be dampened in alkaline emulsifier that people usually use so the old finish off of floors can be stripped and the whole tub ca also be wiped. The chemical stripper can be followed with a washing of citrus-based acid cleaner which the effects of the alkaline stripper can be nullified. After that, the entire tub can be rinsed well so any residual can be removed as part to resurface bathtub.
- The surface can then be cleaned with denatured alcohol and it should also be rinsed once more and any remaining surface dirt, residual cleaners, and dust will be eliminated by this final cleaning. The surface can be inspected and if any damaged areas found, they can be filled with the putty until they are flush and the filler putty can be allowed to dry so you can continue this task.
- An acrylic bonding agent can be used so the tub surface can be coated and the old clothes and a respirator can be donned and the new surface can be applied then with a paint gun. The area that should be sprayed on is the think coat of acrylic urethane enamel and it can be left to dry for about 15 minutes for continuing to the second application and do the same again before the third application.
- The next thing when you surface bathtub is the tub’s surface can then be buffed by using automotive filler compound and a foam buffing pad so the small scratches can be eliminated from the sandpaper after the entire tub surface is wet sanded by using 1,000-grit sandpaper so any rough spots can be removed and left to dry.
- Well, after the series steps above, the surface can be polished now and masking tape can be removed and the joints can be filled in between the tub and walls; silicone caulk can be used to do this. The tub can be used again after the caulk is allowed to dry for overnight. Now, you can resurface bathtub with the help mentioned before.