When your tub is made of fiberglass, it means that your fiberglass tub is expensive and when it is broken, you must repair it meaning you will spend much money for the reparation, but there is a way that will help you for not spending much money for fiberglass tub repair, and it will be able to be done by your own self if you want. Do not rely on the professional too much for repairing your fiberglass tub as long as you can repair it yourself because you will cut your outcome and you will also be able to learn in fixing your fiberglass tub so when it is broken again, you can handle it. Figure out some directions in the following.
- The first thing in fiberglass tub repair is preparing the supplies that can be purchased in home improvement tools stores, like fiberglass cloth, hardener, a fiberglass repair kit with resin, plastic wrap, latex gloves, 60 or 80 grit sandpaper, a coloring agent, a small can of gel coat, a marine grade plastic filler, as well as 220, 320, and 400 wet or dry sandpaper.
- Then, the area of the hole or crack can be sanded by using the coarse sandpaper forcefully and the outward should also be sanded about two inches around the perimeter from the area which is broken.
- The next direction in fiberglass tub repairis that three patches from the fiberglass cloth coming with the kit can be cut and their sizes can be made progressively larger and the patch should be made largest but smaller than the area you sand. The proportionate amounts of fiberglass resin can be mixed with droplets of the hardener in a shallow container based on the package directions. The smallest patch can be dipped and saturated into the fiberglass mixture while the latex gloves are worn and then it can be applied to the repair area and the repair should be allowed to cure for several hours or overnight.
- The coarse sandpaper can be used so the hardened fiberglass can be sanded and we recommend you for using the Formula 27 or equivalent marine plastic filler in the next stage of the repair because fiberglass will be difficult to be sanded. You can mix it with the hardener and the mixture can be cured in about 15 to 30 minutes before the layer of the Formula 27 can be applied to the fiberglass top and it is sanded up to a relatively smooth surface blending into the surrounding tub area can be got. The process can be done repeatedly if it is needed in fiberglass tub repair.
- The gel coat can be applied as the final stage and an appropriate amount of gel coat can be mixed with tiny bits of the tiny until a close color match is got by you. After that, the hardener can be added into the mixture and the repaired area can be brushed with the gel coat about 1/8 of an inch thick before the surface of the gel coat can be covered with plastic wrap for the proper cure.
- After the surface of the gel coat is covered, it can be left for overnight and after that it can be wet sanded with number 220 wet-or-dry sandpaper so it can be blended with the surrounding surface. The finer grades can be used so the appearance of the repaired area can be improved by wet sanding it. These are nice steps of fiberglass tub repair, right?