Fiberglass bathtub is an expensive bathtub and you are lucky for having this bathtub in your bathroom, but when you cannot maintain them very well, some cracks will decorate your bathtub and it will give a bad look for your bathroom because when everything is nice but your bathtub is discolored and decorated by small cracks, it is your time to repair your bathtub immediately. For avoiding the further damage happens to your fiberglass bathtub, the fiberglass bathtub repair should be done for handling the damage. Moreover, you should not ask for professional help to repair yours because you can do it yourself by following some tips and steps below.
- For starting fiberglass bathtub repair, the area that you will repair can be cleaned first and it can also be sanded so that any sharp edges, soap scum, and oils can be removed so the good adhesion can be achieved. If the damage or the cracks are over ¼ inches so a piece of the fiberglass mesh material should be cut with the larger size so the cracks can be covered later. That more than one layer will be needed by you should also be remembered and it all is based on the crack size.
- The measurements that you will need can be read from the kit’s instructions and after you read, the measurements can be determined because one of the requirements is the exact measurements so that the mixture can be set up properly. What tinting requirements that will be needed should also be figured out here.
- A piece of cardboard can be got by you so that the resin can be mixed on because you will feel difficult when it should be removed especially when it is spilled. Quite a bit of work will be required after the acetone is used for hardening. The disposable mixing tools and container can be used in the process fiberglass bathtub repairbut the Styrofoam should be avoided to be used.
- The polyester resin and hardener can be measured and you can measure them based on the instructions and then, the needed colorant can be added depending on the proportions needed so the fixture can be matched before the hardener can be added. Next step in the fiberglass bathtub repairis that the thickening agent can be added to desired thickness and the hardener can then be added as well.
- The resin mixture can be mixed thoroughly and the mixture can be applied before they harden to your fiberglass bathtub and another layer of mesh or mat can be added. The slightly higher application should need to be done so that the smooth sanding can be accomplished as well. The patch can be left to dry for at least 2 hours and after this you can sand the patch.
- As the last step of the fiberglass bathtub repair, a finishing layer of the resin and colorant can be mixed so that the first patch can be mixed. The layer should also be smoothened again so the final surface can be created well. In the end, the spills should also be avoided and the room should also be kept well-ventilated.